You are here: Home » Archives for Jordan Green
Tag: "Jordan Green"
CBS RADIO Names Paul Douglas and Jordana Green PM Drive Hosts at WCCO-AM. The new afternoon drive program on CBS RADIO’s WCCO-AM, Minneapolis will be hosted by Paul Douglas and Jordana Green and officially launch on August 1. The change was necessitated by longtime WCCO personality John Williams’ decision to move to Chicago and focus on his 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm show on WGN. (Williams had been doing both shows from Minneapolis.) Jordana Green moves to the co-host role after five years with the station hosting the 9:00 pm to 11:00 pm show and working with Williams in afternoons. Paul Douglas is the head meteorologist at WCCO-TV and KARE-TV in the Twin Cities. CBS RADIO says Douglas is “a nationally respected broadcaster and meteorologist, with 34 years of broadcast television and 36 years of radio experience.” He also launched the national weather channel, WeatherNation TV in 2011. He provides daily weather for the Star Tribune, the St. Cloud Times, Conservation Minnesota and WeatherNation, and is an author and regular contributor to TPT’s Almanac. WCCO operations manager/program director Lindsey Peterson comments, “Our goal is to have a show that speaks to our community and brings listeners relevant and entertaining topics each day. Paul and Jordana are passionate about speaking to our community and we are excited to have them as part of the station.”
PPM Analysis: Public News/Talk. In the first of a four-part analysis of the performances of stations based on data from Nielsen Audio’s June PPM survey, managing editor Mike Kinosian takes a look at the public news/talk format. Eight stations ranked in the top five in their respective in PPM markets – led by KQED, San Francisco and WAMU, Washington, both of which ranked #1. Comparing year-over-year 6+ share, “more than seven of ten stations from our eligible public news/talk sample are up year-to-year (71%, 6+) while 27% decline; the remaining 2% are steady.” WNPR, Hartford was tops in that category, rising from a 3.1 share in June 2016 to a 5.2 share in June 2017. See the entire piece here.
PodcastOne Debuts New Mobile App with Video and Social Components. Digital content network PodcastOne launches a new platform and mobile app that the company says “offers unique video and social capabilities designed to enhance the listening experience and offer new and exciting ways for fans to engage with their favorite shows and hosts.” The press statement goes on to say, “The new PodcastOne mobile app offers fans a collaborative destination where they can participate in conversation around shows, access exclusive behind-the-scenes photos, message one another, read trending articles and take polls. In addition, a new loyalty program rewards users with virtual currency, which can be redeemed for access to special events in virtual reality (VR), premium content and merchandise discounts.” PodcastOne founder and executive chairman Norman Pattiz adds, “The launch of our new PodcastOne mobile app is a milestone for our company, as we are providing a host of features for our listeners to choose from to enhance their listening experience that no other network provides. Now, with our partners at MANDT VR, we can offer a truly immersive experience that allows the listener to sit in the recording studio, right across the table from the host.”
TALKERS News Notes. York, Pennsylvania news/talk WSBA-AM is now also airing on FM translator W253AC, recently moved in to York from Reading. The Cumulus Media station now brands itself “Newstalk 93.9 & 910 WSBA.”…..In Fargo, Forum Communications fires up FM translator K261BA, Fargo at 100.1 MHz – recently moved in from Rolla, North Dakota – to air the programming of news/talk WDAY-AM…..The Genesis Communications Network-syndicated Dr. Daliah Wachs show is added to the program schedule at KLID, Poplar Bluff, Missouri.
Fate of ObamaCare/GOP Health Care Plan Top News/Talk Story for Week of July 17-21. The state of the Affordable Care Act and a GOP-authored health care plan were the most-talked-about stories on news/talk radio during the week, tying for the top spot on the Talkers TenTM. At #2 this week was the investigation into connections between Trump campaign operatives and Russian agents. Coming in at #3 was President Trump’s approval rating, and following at #4 was Senator John McCain’s brain cancer diagnosis. The Talkers TenTM is a weekly chart of the top stories and people discussed on news/talk radio during the week and is the result of ongoing research from TALKERS magazine. It is published every Friday at Talkers.com. View this week’s entire chart here.
CLARIFICATION. In yesterday’s story in TALKERS, “WRRD, Milwaukee Owner Challenging WTMJ Translator Deal,” detailing WRRD owner Michael Crute’s filing of an Objection with the FCC to translator owner Frank McCoy’s Construction Permit Amendment filing, we wrote that “Scripps and translator owner Frank McCoy have filed applications with the FCC to move the translator to a tower owned by Scripps and to carry WTMJ programming.” It should be noted that Scripps is not involved in the filing as the translator is owned solely by McCoy.
TALKERS 2017 Convention Videos Continue Posting Today (7/21) with John T. Mullen, Scot Bertram and Scott Lakefield. The entire agenda of the recent Talkers 2017: A New Era national talk media convention has been video recorded and its sessions are being posted to Talkers.com – one event per day. Already posted are:
– The “Welcoming Remarks” by WMAL, Washington, DC afternoon drive host Larry O’ Connor (including an introduction by TalkersRadio GM David Bernstein).
– The special presentation “You HAVE Options” by consultant Holland Cooke (including an introduction by Yappy Days author Bernadette Duncan).
– The “Fireside Chat” between TALKERS publisher Michael Harrison and Premiere Networks/Fox News Channel host Sean Hannity (with introduction by Westwood One host Jim Bohannon).
– The “Fireside Chat” between TALKERS managing editor Mike Kinosian and WFAN, New York sports talk show host Mike Francesa (with introduction by Sabo Media CEO Walter Sabo).
– The special presentation “The Trump Effect: Latest Research of Interest to News/Talk Radio” by Salem Radio Network SVP Phil Boyce (with introduction by Pioneer Valley Radio GM/host Brad Shepard).
– The special presentation “Podcasting and Local Radio” by PodcastOne excutive chairman Norm Pattiz (with introduction by Hubbard Radio SVP/programming Greg Strassell).
– The first, second and third in a series of three consecutive “one-on-one” sessions discussing the topic “Maximizing Talk Radio’s Multi-Platform Potential for Reach and Revenue” featuring conversations between WABC, New York, PD Craig Schwalb and KGO, San Francisco host Ethan Bearman, Bold Gold Media Group president/CEO Vince Benedetto and DGital Media managing partner Ron Hartenbaum, and nationally syndicated host Dr. Asa Andrew and TalkersRadio GM David Bernstein. All three sessions are facilitated by Sirius/XM Satellite Radio host Karen Hunter.
– A “one-on-one” dialogue titled “Radio That Makes a Difference” featuring the SiriusXM Satellite Radio husband/wife team of host Joe Madison and executive producer Sharon Madison (introduced by Sirius/XM Satellite Radio VP/GM talk programming Dave Gorab).
– A “Fireside Chat” featuring former CBS Radio president/CEO and Broadcasters Foundation of America chairman Dan Mason being interviewed by WPGG, Atlantic City morning host Harry Hurley (with introduction by BOB-FM, London morning host Graham Mack).
– A “Fireside Chat” featuring Emmis Communications CEO/chairman Jeff Smulyan being interviewed by TALKERS VP/executive editor Kevin Casey (with an introduction by Bentley University professor/TALKERS legal editor Steve Weisman).
– The first two in a series of four “one-on-one” dialogues titled “The Challenges of Doing Talk Radio in 2017.” They feature a conversation between WYD Media syndicated host Thom Hartmann and Cumulus Media corporate PD/WMAL, Washington PD Bill Hess (introduced by Moceri Media president Greg Moceri), a conversation between morning co-host of WAQY-FM (Rock102), Springfield, MA Mike “Bax” Baxendale and morning host of WOLB, Baltimore Larry Young, and a conversation between Cumulus Media EVP programming and content Mike McVay and Premiere Networks president Julie Talbott (facilitated by ABC News Radio VP/GM Steve Jones).
– TODAY (7/21), the first in a series of four “one-on-one” dialogues collectively titled, “Where Does Talk Media Go From Here” featuring a conversation between WRHU, Hofstra University OM John T. Mullen and WRFH, Hillsdale College GM Scot Bertram (facilitated by WOR, New York APD, Scott Lakefield).
Within the following days and weeks, every session will be posted and will remain on Talkers.com for the rest of the year. The Talkers 2017: A New Era video page is sponsored by Backbone Networks, Broadcasters General Store and Comrex Corp. To view the video page of Talkers 2017: A New Era, please click here.
Fox Sports Radio’s Doug Gottlieb Coaches Team USA to Gold. Pictured above is the USA team and coach Doug Gottlieb (crouching, lower right) who is also host of his eponymous sports talk show on Fox Sports Radio. The men’s basketball team won the gold at the 20th World Maccabiah Games, held July 4-18 in Israel. Gottlieb, who continued to host his national radio show for three weeks in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, led a team of Jewish athletes ages 18-35 at the games, that is the world’s third largest international sporting event with more than 9,000 total participants representing 75 countries.
Music Radio News and Career Moves. The new morning drive show on Beasley Media Group’s alternative WBOS-FM, Boston is the “Dave & Chuck the Freak Morning Show,” emanating from the company’s rock WRIF, Detroit. The program, featuring Dave Hunter and Charles Urquhart, debuted on CIMX, Windsor/Detroit in 2001. They left that station in 2012 and debuted on WRIF in May of 2013. Beasley Media Group EVP of programming Justin Chase states, “We have been eager to expand Dave & Chuck’s content beyond Detroit and I couldn’t be more thrilled that it all starts in Boston. This is a market where their genre of show has been very successful in the past and I’m certain Boston will love D&C!”…..Programmer Steve McKay is named program director for Cumulus Media’s adult contemporary WGNI “102.7 GNI” and classic rock WKXS “94.5 The Hawk” in the Wilmington, North Carolina market. Cumulus says McKay’s “visionary radio programming” has led to success at WPTE, Norfollk; WBHT, Scranton; and “Jammin’ Gold” in Philly. Cumulus Media Wilmington VP/market manager Eric McCart comments, “We searched for a leader who will take ‘102.7 GNI’ and ‘94.5 The Hawk’ to the next level, and most importantly, someone who will keep the music sounding the best, while creating a great listener experience and a deeper connection with our listeners, advertisers and community. I’m ecstatic to welcome Steve to our family and we’re excited to have him on board.”…..At Midwest Television’s rock KFMB-FM, San Diego assistant program director and night personality Robin Roth moves up to the midday daypart. Roth is a longtime market personality who joined KFMB-FM in May. She says, “I’m so excited to do what I love in middays and following ‘The DSC’ is a dream come true. Taking the baton from them every day is going to be an honor. Plus, now I get to enjoy the San Diego scene at night again.”…..Relationship expert and author LaDawn Black is taking her radio show to urban contemporary WBLS-FM, New York. Black has most recently been on air at Urban One’s urban contemporary WWIN, Baltimore “Magic 95.9.” Her show will air Sundays from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, effective August 6…..On-air pro Dave Stewart exits CBS RADIO’s classic hits WCBS-FM, New York after a four-and-a-half year stint. He posted to Facebook, “Having been even small part of that station’s huge legacy is a feeling I can’t describe.”…..Styx guitarist Tommy Shaw recently spoke with affiliates of Envision Networks’ Guest Services about the release of the band’s first new album in 14 years, The Mission (Universal). Shaw is just one of a number of high-profile guests available to stations via Envision’s Guest Services.
Judge Rules Swift Attorneys Can Question Mueller About Meeting Recording. This story was reported by KMGH-TV, Denver. Taylor Swift’s lawyers will be allowed to cross-examine former KYGO, Denver morning personality David Mueller about a missing recording of Mueller’s meeting with radio station bosses immediately after he was accused of groping Swift’s bottom during a meet-and-greet. Mueller made the surreptitious recording of the meeting and revealed segments of it but now he claims the full recording has been lost due to a failed computer hard drive. Swift’s attorneys want to question him before the jury to determine if the missing recording was deleted deliberately or not. Mueller is suing Swift for being instrumental in getting him fired. Mueller claims someone else groped Swift and he’s been blamed falsely.