Tag: "Constance Lloyd"
Dr. Ron Paul Guests on This Week’s Harrison Podcast. Former congressman and three-time former presidential candidate, Dr. Ron Paul is this week’s guest on the award-winning PodcastOne series “Up Close and Far Out with Michael Harrison.” Now in his early 80s and still going strong, he served almost a quarter-century in Congress representing Texas’s 22nd district between 1976 and 1977 and then again between 1979 and 1985. He later represented Texas’s 14th district from 1997 to 2013. He is a three-time, former candidate for the presidency of the United States running as the Libertarian Party’s nominee in 1988 and later as a candidate for the Republican nomination in 2008 and 2012. Paul is a medical doctor who served as a flight surgeon in the US Air Force. Harrison questions Paul about some of his disagreements with many of the GOP’s policies as well as those of the Democrats that include fiscal issues, such as the Federal Reserve, tax policy, foreign interventionism, the war on drugs, and mass surveillance. They also talk about his son, U.S. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY), and his recent candidacy for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination. To listen to the podcast in its entirety, please click here or click on the “Up Close and Far Out” player box located in the right-hand column on every page of Talkers.com.
Bloomberg to Buy Suburban Boston AM and Translator. WNBP-AM is licensed to Newburyport, Massachusetts on the North Shore of the Boston metro, as is its translator W291CC at 106.1 FM. Effective today (8/1), Bloomberg Radio begins operating the station, airing business and financial news content from Bloomberg Radio. At the same time, Bloomberg enters into a deal to buy the station from Port Broadcasting. Bloomberg Radio and Television global head Al Mayers says, “We are excited to extend our broadcast footprint in the Boston market. Programming this station in Newburyport gives us the opportunity to provide timely financial information and world news to our listeners during their commute to and from the North Shore. Over the next few weeks, technical upgrades will be completed to make the experience even better.” Previously, Bloomberg and Beasley struck a deal to air Bloomberg Radio programming on suburban Boston signals WRCA, Watertown, Massachusetts and its translator W291CZ at 106.1 FM.
New Leadership Atop CBS News Radio. The retirement of longtime CBS News Radio general manager Constance Lloyd after 17 years in the post prompts two promotions in the organization. CBS News Radio names Craig Swagler general manager, in which he’ll oversee the business operations and editorial direction, and Linda Coombs rises to director of operations, in which she’ll run the day-to-day and personnel management. Both report to CBS News SVP Ingrid Ciprian-Matthews. Coombs has worked at CBS for more than 30 years producing breaking news, coordinating special events, and staffing the copy and assignment desks. Swagler has been with the company for 16 years, since 2013 he’s been overseeing the editorial content and management of the network’s morning hour broadcasts, including the “World News Roundup.”
TALKERS News Notes. Today in Washington, DC, Salem Radio Network talk host Dennis Prager is addressing the Young America’s Foundation’s 39th annual National Conservative Student Conference at George Washington University. Prager will address hundreds of college students from 34 states and more than 120 schools. Other speakers will include Vice President Mike Pence, HUD Secretary Ben Carson, and former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich. Prager is originating his syndicated talk show from Hillsdale College’s Kirby Center radio studio…..Joining Westwood One’s sales ranks are sales pros Linda Ramsey and Jean Ferrari. Ramsey joins the company as vice president, strategic partnership, Midwest sales, based in Detroit. Ferrari becomes director, national partnerships, based in New York. Ramsey was most recently with Atlantic Media Company. Ferrari joins from PodcastOne…..There’s been a three-year deal struck between NPR’s unionized staff and SAG-AFTRA. Both sides say in a joint statement, “NPR and SAG-AFTRA have shared a long and productive relationship throughout the years. This was evident in the recent negotiations, as NPR and SAG-AFTRA’s bargaining teams worked tirelessly and constructively to find common ground. Today NPR and SAG-AFTRA together celebrate the tremendous talents of NPR’s news and programming teams and look forward to supporting NPR’s mission and service to the American public.”…..The 17th annual WSB Care-a-Thon raised a record $1.75 million-plus for Aflac Cancer & Blood Disorders Center of Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta. The Cox Media Group news/talk station’s two-day event ran from 5:00 am on July 27 to 6:00 pm on the 28th. WSB manager of program operations and community affairs Condace Pressley states, “Seventeen years ago, we were introduced to the lifesaving work happening at the Aflac Cancer Center. WSB shared those amazing stories with our listeners and their response has been overwhelming. To raise a record-setting $1,750,000 shows the power radio can have for good in the local community.” Local personalities participating in the Care-a-Thon included: Scott Slade, Clark Howard, Herman Cain, Neal Boortz, Erick Erickson, Eric Von Haessler and Mark Arum…..SiriusXM announces the launch of a new show featuring well-known British intellectual Noreena Hertz, called “MegaHertz: London Calling.” The live show will debut on August 28 from London at 1:00 pm ET. Hertz is joining SiriusXM as its first foreign-based host for news and talk programming and will serve as chief Europe correspondent across all talk radio channels. Hertz comments, “The world has never been more vibrant, complex and controversial. I have plenty to say about the big topics affecting us all and will be inviting an eclectic and energetic mix of guests to debate them with me here in the UK and our listeners across America.”…..Nationally syndicated talk show host Dr. Daliah Wachs is pictured here (right) with celebrity chef Robert Irvine (left) at the opening of his new restaurant in Las Vegas Public House. Wachs tells TALKERS magazine, “We were able to hang with him opening week and the food and service were amazing – especially the Shepherd’s Pie!”…..“Success Journal” host Chris Witting launches a podcast version of his long-running radio show. “Success Journal” airs on more than 100 affiliate stations and has been in syndication for 20-plus years. Witting comments, “Radio is our primary focus but our podcast is reaching a new set of listeners. And the podcast audience growth we’re seeing is gratifying.”
Trump Fires Scaramucci/John Kelly New Chief of Staff, Fate of ObamaCare, North Korea Nuclear Threats, Maduro Cracks Down in Venezuela, #NoConfederate Campaign, Rising Dow, Sam Shepard Dies, MLB Action and NFL Camps Open Among Top News/Talk Stories Yesterday (7/31). After 11 days on the job, President Trump fires White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci, and the related naming of John Kelly as Chief of Staff; ongoing efforts by Republicans to repeal the Affordable Care Act and pass a GOP-authored health care plan; North Korea’s nuclear threats and intelligence about its heightened submarine activity; the U.S. puts sanctions on Venezuela as Nicolas Maduro rounds up political opponents in the wake of disputed election results; the campaign against HBO’s planned series “Confederate” that explores an alternate history with the South seceding from the Union; the still rising U.S. financial markets; actor and playwright Sam Shepard dies; Major League Baseball action, and the opening of NFL camps were some of the most-talked-about stories on news/talk radio yesterday, according to ongoing research from TALKERS magazine.
TALKERS 2017 Convention Videos Continue Posting Today (8/1) with Presentation of the “Woman of the Year” award to Cumulus Media President/CEO Mary Berner. The entire agenda of the recent Talkers 2017: A New Era national talk media convention has been video recorded and its sessions are being posted to Talkers.com – one event per day. Already posted are:
– The “Welcoming Remarks” by WMAL, Washington, DC afternoon drive host Larry O’ Connor (including an introduction by TalkersRadio GM David Bernstein).
– The special presentation “You HAVE Options” by consultant Holland Cooke (including an introduction by Yappy Days author Bernadette Duncan).
– The “Fireside Chat” between TALKERS publisher Michael Harrison and Premiere Networks/Fox News Channel host Sean Hannity (with introduction by Westwood One host Jim Bohannon).
– The “Fireside Chat” between TALKERS managing editor Mike Kinosian and WFAN, New York sports talk show host Mike Francesa (with introduction by Sabo Media CEO Walter Sabo).
– The special presentation “The Trump Effect: Latest Research of Interest to News/Talk Radio” by Salem Radio Network SVP Phil Boyce (with introduction by Pioneer Valley Radio GM/host Brad Shepard).
– The special presentation “Podcasting and Local Radio” by PodcastOne excutive chairman Norm Pattiz (with introduction by Hubbard Radio SVP/programming Greg Strassell).
– The first, second and third in a series of three consecutive “one-on-one” sessions discussing the topic “Maximizing Talk Radio’s Multi-Platform Potential for Reach and Revenue” featuring conversations between WABC, New York, PD Craig Schwalb and KGO, San Francisco host Ethan Bearman, Bold Gold Media Group president/CEO Vince Benedetto and DGital Media managing partner Ron Hartenbaum, and nationally syndicated host Dr. Asa Andrew and TalkersRadio GM David Bernstein. All three sessions are facilitated by Sirius/XM Satellite Radio host Karen Hunter.
– A “one-on-one” dialogue titled “Radio That Makes a Difference” featuring the SiriusXM Satellite Radio husband/wife team of host Joe Madison and executive producer Sharon Madison (introduced by Sirius/XM Satellite Radio VP/GM talk programming Dave Gorab).
– A “Fireside Chat” featuring former CBS Radio president/CEO and Broadcasters Foundation of America chairman Dan Mason being interviewed by WPGG, Atlantic City morning host Harry Hurley (with introduction by BOB-FM, London morning host Graham Mack).
– A “Fireside Chat” featuring Emmis Communications CEO/chairman Jeff Smulyan being interviewed by TALKERS VP/executive editor Kevin Casey (with an introduction by Bentley University professor/TALKERS legal editor Steve Weisman).
– The series of four “one-on-one” dialogues titled “The Challenges of Doing Talk Radio in 2017.” They feature a conversation between WYD Media syndicated host Thom Hartmann and Cumulus Media corporate PD/WMAL, Washington PD Bill Hess(introduced by Moceri Media president Greg Moceri), a conversation between morning co-host of WAQY-FM (Rock102), Springfield, MA Mike “Bax” Baxendale and morning host of WOLB, Baltimore Larry Young, and a conversation between Cumulus Media EVP programming and content Mike McVay and Premiere Networks president Julie Talbott (facilitated by ABC News Radio VP/GM Steve Jones).
– The series of four “one-on-one” dialogues collectively titled, “Where Does Talk Media Go From Here?” featuring a conversation between WRHU, Hofstra University OM John T. Mullen and WRFH, Hillsdale College GM Scot Bertram; a conversation between The New Normal CEO/founder/host Tom Leykis and syndicated host Michael Berry; a conversation between The Weiss AgencyEVP Heather Cohen and Fox News Radio/Fox News Channel host Brian Kilmeade; and a conversation between WPHT, Philadelphia host Dom Giordano and GCN syndicated host Dr. Daliah Wachs (facilitated by WOR, New York APD Scott Lakefield). At the conclusion, Dr. Wachs is presented the TALKERS “Humanitarian of the Year” award by Michael Harrison.
– Three memorial tributes by Westwood One host Jim Bohannon dedicated to major talk show personalities and longtimeTALKERS Convention participants who passed away this past year: Tom Marr, Dr. Joy Browne and Alan Colmes. (Introduction by Stephan Multimedia CEO/host, Doug Stephan.)
– TODAY (8/1) we posted the presentation of the 2017 “Woman of the Year” award to Cumulus Media president/CEO Mary Berner by TALKERS publisher Michael Harrison.
Within the following days and weeks, every session will be posted and will remain on Talkers.com for the rest of the year. The Talkers 2017: A New Era video page is sponsored by Backbone Networks, Broadcasters General Store and Comrex Corp. To view the video page of Talkers 2017: A New Era, please click here.
Music Radio News and Career Moves. Allentown market adult contemporary WLEV announces Kevin Crockett joins the station to serve as co-host of the morning drive “Selena and Crockett” program. Crockett joins Cumulus Media from his most recent position as executive producer of “The Breakfast Club” on WOGL, Philadelphia. WLEV program director Jerry Padden says, “I am extremely excited to welcome Kevin to the Cumulus team. From the time that he and Selena first met, the fireworks went off. I’m sure that our current and new LEV listeners will feel the same way.”…..Beasley Media Group names Steve Mills program director classic hits WDRR, Augusta, Georgia. Mills was most recently with Cumulus Media’s Sound Solutions as a producer. Beasley Augusta operations manager Chris O’Kelley says, “We are extremely excited to welcome Steve to the Beasley Augusta team and look forward to Steve bringing his multi-format and digital experience to WDRR’s classic hits format.”…..Entercom tweaks KXSN, San Diego from a soft AC format to classic hits as “Sunny 98.1!”…..The Mentoring and Inspiring Women in Radio Group announces that Roula Christie, host of the “Roula and Ryan” show on Cumulus Media’s CHR KRBE, Houston, is named the 2017 MIW Airblazer, an honor bestowed by MIW annually to a deserving on-air personality in radio broadcasting. MIW Group spokeswoman Denyse Mesnik says, “Roula is a consummate MIW Airblazer. She professionally navigates responsibilities that are unique to a morning show, while contributing to her hometown community and, most importantly, as a working mom raising three young children. We look for leadership and a selfless understanding of giving back in our Airblazer honoree. Roula leads by example and serves as a reminder to Houston listeners, and frankly to all of us in radio, that the true power behind a radio microphone lies in establishing genuine emotional connections with the people and communities we serve.”
Jason Bailey Emcees BB&T Atlanta Open. WNNX, Atlanta “Rock 100.5 FM” morning personality Jason Bailey – of the “Bailey and Southside” show – was the stadium voice of the just-concluded BB&T Atlanta Open tennis tournament. Bailey also emceed a Venus Williams vs Genie Bouchard exhibition match. To kick off the tournament, Bailey, an avid tennis player himself, challenged his listeners to guess how many points he could score in a 10-point, tie-breaker match with professional tennis player, Taylor Fritz. The winning listener received VIP seats for the semi-finals. Pictured here are (from l-r): Genie Bouchard, Bailey, BB&T regional president Heath Campbell, and Venus Williams.