By Steve Lapa
Lapcom Communications Corp
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. — Six weeks remain in the calendar year. Chances are your 2021 budgeting process is done. How’s your plan shaping up on achieving the goals? For 2021, the only sure thing in sales is nothing is for sure.
Just look back at 2020. Pandemic crushed economy, 30 named storms, minimal sports activity, home schooling, toilet paper shortages, new verbs like “Zoom,” and tumult in the White House. There are clues here on how to build a plan to achieve your 2021 goals. Here are some basic start points:
- Your most efficient sale is the business you already have. Like we said, nothing is for sure. Communicate with your current clients to determine if there are any new opportunities, changes, needs you can help meet with an improved campaign.
- Pandemic Plan A – If 2021 is year two of the Covid business crush, plan accordingly, especially through the winter months when business will need to adjust… again.
- Pandemic Plan B – How does your plan change for Q2 and beyond, vaccine or not.
- Weather – Actually more predictable than you realize. The calendar is your friend and the businesses that need your help are typically open and accessible for input. From wildfires to hurricanes, Mother Nature never sleeps.
- Election Impact – Assuming there will be changes, get in front of it. News/talk is the perfect environment for high-impact marketing for many of the changes that will impact business and consumers in 2021.
- Your secret weapon – Creative. Have you noticed the number of local TV commercials with low production value? Same for Outdoor? High-value local production may be a Covid casualty in your market. If so, the opportunity to pitch your best audio and scripting creative is wide open. Act now.
- Time Management – Depending on your manager’s directive, you may need more time for online meetings or sessions with station personnel. Your clients’ workflow may change for 2021. Plug in and be prepared for time management gymnastics.
As you look back on the finish of 2019 and most of 2020, the sales environment went from the penthouse to the outhouse. Let’s organize a smarter approach to sales planning for 2021 and the challenges ahead!
Steve Lapa is the president of Lapcom Communications Corp. based in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. Lapcom is a media sales, marketing, and development consultancy. Contact Steve Lapa via email at: Steve@Lapcomventures.com