By Steve Lapa
Lapcom Communications Corp
You don’t need a stack of stats to realize everyone gets their news, opinions, and information from multiple media touchpoints. Radio is not the pre-eminent free utility it once was. Your smartphone, laptop, desktop, smart watch and smart TV, will flash an alert, update, or bulletin, in the blink of an eye. The 24/7/365 news, information, opinion cycle is on steroids and being consumed at a breakneck pace from almost anywhere. Traffic, weather, sports scores, headlines, breaking news, opinions, updates, are all for sale.
I’m not sure there is anything “exclusive” of value left in radio. Your “unique” value proposition in radio sales is fading fast in the digital social media age.
Are you still leaning on any 1 of these 10?
- #1 Ratings – Careful… anyone can be bought around.
2. Efficiency – There’s always a more efficient option.
3. Frequency – How many ads must air in today’s 6,000-10,000 daily ads environment to break through?
4. Creative – Are you resourced with great production and someone who can write?
5. Personalities – How comfortable are yours with sponsor expectations?
6. Coverage – Is your signal better than the concept of geo targeting?
7. Heritage – Do younger/newer business owners care?
8. Ownership – It can fade on the call, if you don’t pass the W.I.F.M.test.
9. Results – Guaranteed? Attributable?
10. Your Relationship – Maybe.
Did I hit any buttons? Have you compared your unique sales value before Google, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, iTunes, Spotify, Instagram, and after?
- Listen to yourself talk the talk. What makes you different today?
- What unique value can you bring today that no one else can?
- Keep it simple. No need to kill it with product overkill.
Time to start updating, refining, and practicing your “here’s what’s unique about (my station, my talk radio talent)” today. This competitive landscape changes daily.
Steve Lapa is the president of Lapcom Communications Corp. based in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. Lapcom is a media sales, marketing, and development consultancy. Contact Steve Lapa via email at: Steve@Lapcomventures.com