By Steve Lapa
Lapcom Communications Corp
If you sell in the news/talk world the log line is audience levels are up. Yet you know ad sales are down. More listeners are tuning in, yet co-workers are getting laid off. Fear is dominating the content and fear is the most difficult business condition to sell through. All markets hate fear and uncertainty. Adapting to this pandemic environment challenges everything we know. The new normal is a moving target-normal.
What can you possibly add to the conversation that will help move your momentum to more positive ground? What changes can you make that can put you into a more positive space that your clients can feel as real?
- Control what you can control easiest: yourself. If you allow the negativity to take over, then it’s game over. Winners keep on winning; they find a path through all the adversity. Although it’s hard to envision today, shelter at home will come to an end.
- What stands between you and a positive outcome? Be realistic. Are you connecting into with the right targeting?
- Have you adapted your offer with something new? It’s always easier to gain interest if what you have is new, different, and more reflective of the current business climate. Audience levels are UP in almost all mass media. What’s new and different about what you have to offer?
- Work smarter, work harder. Get out of your comfort zone. Maybe looking for new clients WAS 20% of your day. What’s changed today?
- Coordinate. Communicate. Consider working with other team members like you never have before. This can help get you through this stretch.
- Source a success. Everyone has enjoyed a successful run somewhere. Plug into that success to help you recharge.
- Stay with a concept. Whatever goes up, will come down. Markets correct themselves. Nobody stays on top forever. However, the concept you present can last a lot longer than you think.
Steve Lapa is the president of Lapcom Communications Corp. based in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. Lapcom is a media sales, marketing, and development consultancy. Contact Steve Lapa via email at: Steve@Lapcomventures.com