By Steve Lapa
The impact of the coronavirus crisis on the work environment is an in-your-face lesson in the speed of change. Where and how you work, plan, think, and create, is changing right in front of you and there are no stop signs.
As local businesses large and small deal with an unpredictable future, here are 10 changes radio sales reps must face in the Coronavirus Selling Environment:
- Working remotely
- Limited in-person collaborations
- New workflow procedures
- More online meetings…sometimes more than you would like
- Limited office resources, minimal studio and talent access
- Permission based advertiser contact
- Constant price fluctuations
- Cancellations, postponements, revisions especially in collections and credit
- Changes in programming
- Local advertisers are evaluating their business adjustments and viability
How do you plan and prioritize?
- Take care of the business and relationships you currently have. Make sure you are clear on how and when contact flow works during this high-stress time. The client you have is a high-value asset.
- Prospect intelligently, consider three prospect categories:
- Revised Messaging: Established businesses that need to get a new message to customers. Revised hours, special adjustments (delivery, curbside only), etc.
- Recruitment: Businesses may need delivery, preparation, specialized and other help.
- New Opportunities: Business loans, local agencies, municipalities, insurance, legal, and direct-to-consumer products.
- Stay coordinated with your team members. Check–in with your vital departments. Programming may offer feedback that can motivate your thinking. Business managers can help guide your collections and credit profile. Sales managers will try and support you through these challenging times.
- For advertisers who have re-focused to online and email updates, your station and talent-driven digital, online, and social media audience engagement are changing dramatically.
Can you adapt to the speed of change necessary to make it through this Covid-19 crisis?
Steve Lapa is the president of Lapcom Communications Corp. based in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. Lapcom is a media sales, marketing, and development consultancy. Contact Steve Lapa via email at: Steve@Lapcomventures.com