By Holland Cooke
BLOCK ISLAND, RI — YouTube has over a billion active monthly users, almost one-third of all people on the Internet. If YouTube was a country it would be the 3rd most populous in the world, behind China and India, bigger than the USA. And…
- People watch over 6 billion YouTube hours a month, average time per session 40 minutes.
- YouTube reaches more 18-34s and 18-49s than any cable network in the USA.
- Over a year’s worth of YouTube video is viewed on Facebook every minute.
- More than half of YouTube views come from mobile devices.
Every second, one hour of video is uploaded. Before yours joins that torrent, here are some tips, courtesy of SocialMediaMarketo.com (not a misprint):
- Start with an awesome title.
- Write a description that hooks viewers in.
- Use appropriate tags.
- Use an eye-catching thumbnail.
- Upload your video in High Definition.
- Keep the video short & sweet.
- Include a brand logo as a watermark.
- Link to other videos of yours that are relevant.
- Use a call to action at the end.
And from “The Ultimate Guide to YouTube Marketing” from OnlineVideo.net:
- Add a “Subscribe to us on YouTube” button on your web site.
- Ask for feedback from you viewers and respond to it; create a conversation.
- Use relevant keywords in your (the first few words of) video titles, and captions.
- Frequently upload fresh content to keep subscribers coming back.
- Link to YouTube videos in your blog and Emails.
- Produce for small-screen viewing.
- The first 5 seconds is critical.
Also useful at OnlineVideo.net: How to Grow an Audience on Facebook Live
Holland Cooke (HollandCooke.com) is a media consultant working at the intersection of broadcasting and the Internet. He is the author of “Holland Cooke: Greatest Hits” an instant download available exclusively from Talkers Books. Click the ad banner on this page. And he hosts “The Big Picture” TV show on RT America. Read HC’s Monday Memo each week at Talkers.com, and follow him on Twitter @HollandCooke