By Mike Kinosian
LOS ANGELES — This time last month, we did our first-ever PPM-era assessment of National Football League radio flagships.
As a follow-up, here is the initial overview of radio flagships of National Basketball Association franchises.
The following is comprised of the performance of (certain, English-language) NBA radio flagships in the November 2017 sweep.
Several stations listed below serve as key stations for multiple big league teams.
NBA Radio Flagships Disclaimers (November 2017)
As a basic frame of reference regarding a flagship’s commitment, the Major League Baseball schedule is twice that of the NBA; in turn, NBA teams play five times as many regular-season games than their NFL counterparts.
The top line of this introduction to NBA radio flagships consists of the team and its primary, English-language key station.
If applicable, any additional information appears on the next line.
Teams are noted in descending order of PPM-market size; any MLB and/or NFL flagship status is in parentheses.
- Brooklyn Nets: sports talk WFAN (New York Yankees and New York Giants)
All-news WCBS-AM is the backup
- New York Knicks: sports/talk WEPN (New York Jets)
- Los Angeles Clippers: sports talk KLAC (Los Angeles Dodgers)
- Los Angeles Lakers: sports talk KSPN (Los Angeles Rams)
- Chicago Bulls: news/talk WLS-AM (Chicago White Sox)
- Golden State Warriors: sports talk KGMZ (Oakland A’s and Oakland Raiders)
- Dallas Mavericks: sports talk KESN
- Houston Rockets: sports talk KBME (Houston Astros)
News/Talk KTRH is the backup
- Washington Wizards: news/talk WFED
- Atlanta Hawks: sports talk WZGC (Atlanta Falcons)
- Philadelphia 76ers: sports talk WPEN-FM
- Boston Celtics: sports talk WBZ-FM (New England Patriots)
Classic rock WZLX is the backup
- Miami Heat: sports talk WAXY
- Detroit Pistons: sports talk WXYT-FM (Detroit Tigers)
All-news WWJ is the backup
- Phoenix Suns: sports talk KMVP-FM (Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Minnesota Timberwolves: news/talk WCCO
- Denver Nuggets: sports talk KKSE
Country KWOF is the backup
- Portland Trail Blazers: sports talk KPOJ
- Charlotte Hornets: sports talk WFNZ
- San Antonio Spurs: news/talk WOAI
- Sacramento Kings: sports talk KHTK
- Utah Jazz: sports talk KZNS-FM (unlisted in November 2017)
- Orlando Magic: sports talk WDBO-AM
- Cleveland Cavaliers: rock WMMS-FM
News/Talk WTAM (Cleveland Indians) is the AM flagship
- Indiana Pacers: sports talk WFNI (Indianapolis Colts)
- Milwaukee Bucks: news/talk WTMJ (Milwaukee Brewers and Green Bay Packers)
- Memphis Grizzlies: sports talk WMFS
- New Orleans Pelicans: news/talk WWNO (non-PPM-market)
- Oklahoma City Thunder: sports talk WWLS (non-PPM-market)
- Toronto Raptors: sports talk CJCL (Toronto Blue Jays) and sports talk CHUM are co-flagships; (non-USA PPM-market)
Next up: A November 2017 overview of adult hits stations; email managing editor Mike Kinosian at Kinosian@TALKERS.com.