Tag: "Baby Boomer"
By Holland Cooke
BLOCK ISLAND, RI — 3.4 million Americans were born in 1946. 2.1 million make it to 70 this year, including Suzanne Somers, Donald Trump, Cher, Pat Sajak, Diane Keaton, Steven Spielberg, Linda Ronstadt, and Sylvester Stallone. And Bill Clinton, the first Baby Boomer president.
- Their dads marched home from World War II, and soon elected its hero, Ike; who told ‘em to buy a new car, and built ‘em an Interstate Highway System to drive it on.
- In the cul-de-sac where Boomers spent their Wonder Years, life was good…until today’s 70 year olds saw another war hero president assassinated. Then his brother, then Dr. King. Boomers were weathered by Viet Nam and race riots.
- Women joined the workforce. Today’s 70 year-olds saw man walk on the moon, and they lined-up to gas-up on odd or even days. They used to smoke weed when their parents weren’t looking; and many still do, when their grandchildren aren’t.
- Their soundtrack was The Beatles, Motown, The Beach Boys, and other acts now difficult to find on AM/FM radio.
In the next two decades, another 65 million will hit The Big Seven Oh.
By Holland Cooke
MCVAY/COOK & ASSOCIATES
BLOCK ISLAND, RI – FAQ from talk talent: “What’s our target demographic?”
1. NOT 25-54. Recently-published Nielsen data affirms what you may have suspected all-along: The vaunted 25-54 demo is malarkey:
• Although only 5% of ad dollars are aimed at ‘em, 35-64 accounts for half of product purchases.
• Baby Boomers – 80 million Americans born between 1946 and 1964 — account for roughly half of all packaged-good sales, almost $230 billion. In five years, they’ll control 70% of the USA’s disposable income.